POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
8 Jul 2024 11:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 22 Sep 2003 17:27:34
Message: <3f6f6946$1@news.povray.org>
news:3f6f6192@news.povray.org...
> Andrew Coppin <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:
> > Didn't see anywhere to adjust that... I was a "quality" setting, with I
set
> > to 100% (despite being warned that 90% would probably be as good). Still
> > looked aweful! I'll have another look at it...
>
>   If you are using for example the DivX5 codec, then in virtualdub
> you can select Video -> Compression... -> DivX whatever -> Configure
>   It will pop up the DivX configuration dialog which, among other things,
> has an "Encoding bitrate" slider. Set it to something like 3000 kbps or
> more and that should be plenty enough.
>   Other codecs (such as Xvid) have similar configuration dialogs.

I just tried using a codec listed as "Intel Indeo Video 4.5". The
configuration box doesn't let you select a bitrate - or anything much else
really - but I set the "quality" setting to "best". The resulting video
(with no sound at present) is about 500KB smaller than the MPEG-I (which
includes the audio). The star field doesn't look too bad I suppose - leaves
little "trails" behind. But when you get the the tunnel, it looks like a
badly tuned RF signal or something! It's just nasty...

Then I tried using something called "Cinepack Codec by Radius". This gives
me no controls at all, other than selecting colour or BW. The result was
18MB instead of 8MB (MPEG-I), and the starfield looked *terrible*! The black
wasn't even black, it was light grey! And there were bits of things left all
over the place... Interestingly, the tunnel sequence actually looked rather
good though... Weird!

For reference, I appear to have the following codecs...
Cinepack Codec by Radius
DivX 5.0.2 Codec
Indeo video 5.10
Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50 (doesn't work)
Intel Indeo Video R3.2
Intel Indeo Video 4.5
Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft H.261 Video Codec (doesn't work)
Microsoft H.263 Video Codec (doesn't work)
Microsoft RLE (doesn't work)
Microsoft Video 1

Thanks.

PS. Notice how all the Microsoft codecs don't work? ;-)